Pregnant. Diagnosed with fibroids. Will it cause any major problem?

my wife is 7weeks. 4days pregnant. and when scaned, doctor said she is having fibroids.
in reports it is mentioned that a large fibroid 10.3*9.9*8.cms fundal fibroid adjacent to the gestational sac on the left side. In addition a second fibroid 4.6*44.cms is identified antero-laterally on the right side.
please suggest is it problem?
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 54 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Fibroids are benign tumours that grow from the muscle layers in the uterus and it is a fairly common condition in women of the reproductive age group.

In a small percentage of ladies, presence of fibroids during pregnancy is associated with:
1.spontaneous miscarriage, bleeding in early pregnancy
2.preterm labour,premature rupture of membranes,placental abruption etc. in later part of pregnancy.
Some patients develop severe pain due to "red degeneration" of the fibroid.

However, having said that, most of the time, the fibroids do not increase in size during pregnancy and a fair number of ladies have no complications due to the fibroid.

As of now ,she can continue the pregnancy,but needs to be closely monitored by her obstetrician.
Adopt a Wait and Watch policy.It is very important to monitor the size and growth of the fibroid.
Avoid sexual intercourse during pregnancy.
At any point of time, if she develops severe pain in the lower abdomen,back pain or bleeding from the vagina, she should visit her obstetrician immediately.

Hope I have answered your question.If you have any further queries,I will be happy to answer them.

Have a nice day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan