Pregnant. Diagnosed with SLE. Pain in shoulders, legs and knees. What should I do?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
hello, I am 5 weeks pregnant and has been diagnosed with SLE. My current doctor put me on a week rest from work because I am hurting all over. here recently I am having more pains in the shoulders, legs, knees and radiating all the way down to my toes. I called up my primary care doc yesterday and he thinks I should be fine to go back to work? I also work as a CNA, what can you recommend I should do? My employer told me that I can be put on the TDI and that they don't want to risk my health & baby's health considering the heavy activity I have to do as a CNA but my doc keep saying I should be ok? My lupus is flaring up too and I'm going to see my rheumy this coming next week. thank you for your response.
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to avoid heavy activity.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Thanks for your query.

As yo are suffering from SLE, symptoms you have described could be due to flare of SLE. Another possibility of such pain could be deficiency of vit D. It is best to get it evaluated early for flare symptoms and also get vitamin D3 level done.

Lupus flares detected early are easier to treat. In my opinion ,it is better to avoid heavy activity.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.