Pregnant. Child changing its position. Have 5 uterine fibroids. What are the risks?

I am 35w5D pregnant. during my last scan at 34 weeks, the baby was in transverse position. Yesterday at my check up, my doctor palpated and has written that "the head is in right hypochondrium and the lower pole is empty". My doctor has advised that i should XXXXXXX her in a weeks time when the baby may again change position. if not, then she would do a C-Section on completion of 37 weeks.
I have 5 uterine fibroids, the largest of which is 9*9*9 cm and in the last scan, the USG reported that there is mild hydraminios with largest pocket being 9.9 cm.
My queries are as follows:
1. Is this the best way of handling the breeech position or should i wait for labour?
2. Does such an adnormal presentation necessarily mean congenital deformities especially since the doctor mentioned lower pole is empty? My anomaly scan at 19 weeks was normal and onle an echogenic focus was found in the heart (left ventricle).
3. Will the baby be sufficiently prepared growthwise at 37 weeks or will NICU admission have to be done?
Thank you
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 41 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. First of all congratulations to the mother to be and all the best for the time to come.

I will try to answer query in simple manner.

>Your doctor is right and he is going in right direction.

Yes, this is good way of handling the baby. Normal position of baby near term is head down and feet up or vice versa. In your case the head is in upper abdomen but the feet are not felt in lower abdomen as per the examination by your doctor.(that what he has written-lower pole empty-means he could feel anything in lower abdomen)It is related to position of baby not related to any congenital anomaly.

This means your baby is still in transverse position. Normal delivery is not possible in such case. And surgery is the preferred mode of delivery in such case.

As far as maturity of baby is concerned, normally after 36 weeks the lungs of baby matures fully and the baby can survive out side without much problem.

Again while preparing for surgery they will give your some medicines which will take care of any problem to baby after birth.

In most of the cases after planned surgery the complication rate is very low and out come is good.

Please follow the advise given by your doctor and say yes to surgery when asked for.

I hope this helps in reliving your concern.

Please feel free to ask again if you have something more to ask.

Once again wishing you all the best.