Pregnancy problem, have PCOS, hairloss, was on diane-35, taking deviry, no period, PCOS scan result

Dear doc,

I am 29years old and my wife is 27 and its been an year since we got married. Now we are trying to go the family way and we are worried about the problems my wife is facing.

She has PCOS history and frequent irregularity in periods. Also, severe hairloss occurs on and off. She was on Diane-35 for more than a year now and when on this pill, she had no problems.

Now as we plan to extend our family, the gyneac asked her to go off Diane-35 and take Deviry 10mg for 2 months starting from 21st day for 5 days.

It has been 18 days after her last Deviry tab, and she complains that she still doesn't see any periods. Not even spotting. Pregnancy is ruled out as she is away from me (My wife will be back by 20th Nov.), out of this country on work. Some reading on the net tells us that this might mean that pregnancy may elude her. Is that really the case?

PCOS Scan result
Uterus is normal.
MEASUREMENT: Length: :7.0 cms. AP :: 3.3 cms. Tr :: 4.3 cms
No measurable endometrial thickness (post menstrual phase).
Right ovarian simple cyst (physiological) of 1.9 cms noted.
Left ovarian smooth walled aseptate cyst of3.9 x 2.7 x 3.9 cms noted.
Both these cysts show no grossly turbid contents.
Pouch of XXXXXXX is empty.
IMPRESSION: Right ovarian cyst possibly physiological.
Left ovarian cyst - ? retention - No significant change
In size noted from previous report.

are details about my wife
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Polycystic ovarian disease is very common in young females and causes hormonal imbalance and also can cause problem in conceiving.

In polycystic ovaries the hormone imbalance is such that there are long intervals in between two periods. The best way to regularize the periods in such a situation is to take oral pills and till now the drugs prescribed have been fine.

It is very important that her periods are regularized first and she starts ovulating because when regular ovulation starts (egg release)then only fertilization chances are there.

Based on the history and reports it seems that uterus is fine but presence of cyst is there. If the patient does not respond to XXXXXXX there are some other medications as Clomid and Metformin (given if insulin resistant is present) but they are to be prescribed after complete Hormonal analysis and under supervision.

You can discuss with the treating doctor regarding this and also ovulation study which would help in knowing whether eggs are being produced or not.

In case the medications do not work then an option of hormonal injections is also there for ovulation induction.

I can understand your problem but relax as many woman these days have complaints of polycystic and have conceived though after some duration.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.