Pregnancy positive from home pregnancy test. Noticed bleeding with cramping. No fever. Does this indicate miscarriage?

34-yr-old female guessing I am approximately 5wks pregnant - at home positive tests last week. I have not seen a Dr yet; however, I started bleeding yesterday a.m. with mild to moderate cramping. It is bright red and not a significant amount at all, less than a very light period. I do notice some odor, the cramping in the night got very painful, very mild today & no increase in amount of blood. Just light spotting, bright red blood & no clots or thickening discharge. I am not running a fever. Assuming I am miscarrying & wondering If it is normal to just stay home and let this and my body run this course?
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 31 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

You should not stay home. The three possibilites include:
1. Normal implantation bleeding
2. A threatened miscarriage
3. An ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy in your tube)

You need:
1. A quantitative HCG level
2. An ultrasound to see if there is a pregnancy in the tube

Do not assume the worst, but do not delay getting evaluated. This means you need to get in to your doctor or go to an ER.

I hope that this helps and good luck!
Follow-up: Pregnancy positive from home pregnancy test. Noticed bleeding with cramping. No fever. Does this indicate miscarriage? 9 hours later
Thank you for your advice & timely response! Now things are even more complicated :-( After reading your response my Dr's office finally called back & phone triaged me. I had some of my dates messed up & so it seems as if I am more like 8 weeks. She scheduled an appt for an ultrasound in the morning & just basis to call if sudden onset of pain or increased bleeding. I'm guessing in wasn't SDA because of the small amount of blood & no severe cramping; however, I had my husband get me another home pregnancy test and I took it about an hour ago. COMPLETELY NEGATIVE :-( How is it that not one tiny trace amount of hcg to show up when my body is not expelling anything? I'm not even spotting anymore. I am so confused. Please let me know what this can indicate, if this is normal, and any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 8 hours later
Thank you for the followup and I am sorry about the additional delay getting back to you.

What has happened is that you were NOT 8 weeks along or the HCG would still be positive even if you had miscarried. Your doctor's office made some wrong assumptions most likely. You were probably very early, miscarried, and the HCG was not very high and reached a negative value quickly. This is the only explanation. You still need to:
1. Get a blood test to confirm the urine test
2. You should still go ahead with the ultrasound

Please tell me if this answers your question.