Pregnan. Ultrasound showed that cord is around the neck of the baby. Is it safe to travel long flights?

Mar 2016

Hi. My wife is 27 weeks pregnant with all reports normal, except ultrasound suggesting that cord is around the neck of the baby.
She needs to travel this week from India to Australia to be with me and deliver our baby here in Sydney, Australia.

Is it completely fine for her to travel? Please suggest.
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

I have reviewed attached ultrasound report. In my point of view, it is quite normal with all parameters & fetal maturity corresponds to current gestational age.

Single cord around the neck of the baby is seen in some percentage pregnancy during 2nd/ 3rd trimester. It usually does not cause any problem or complication in the later months & during delivery. But, follow up ultrasound scan is advisable after 32 weeks for overall assessment of mother health & fetal well being. Your consulting obstetrician can help regarding this.

Next thing, air travel is quite safe for most healthy pregnant women but each airline has a different regulation for pregnant fliers. It is considered safe up to 32-36 weeks of pregnancy for single baby and 32 weeks for twin pregnancy for short period travel (max 6-8 hrs).

You also need permission from your consulting obstetrician with clearance of airline and rule out other possible risk factors like Past History of Preterm labor, Vaginal bleeding, High BP, Diabetes, Anemia, Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) or Air Embolism, Problem with high altitude etc. Also proper immunization needs to be taken before traveling from India to Australia to avoid transmission of infectious agents. Please consult with your doctor regarding this.

Certain measures to be taken like:

1) In flight- She will get up and walk around at least once an hour and drink plenty of fluids.
2) Take some medications in her kit bag for pregnancy related problems like heartburn, skin complaints, constipation, vomiting etc. Along with she must take sanitary napkin for emergency purpose.
3) Check travel insurance policy for pregnancy before booking flight.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me.

Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen