Precocious puberty, pubic hair, sweating, rapid growth, disturbed sleep, emotional behavior. MRI required ?

My daughter is 5 and showing signs of precocious puberty for a few months now, including pubic hair, sweating and rapid growth. Have seen a GP and been referred to paediatrician. Her behaviour and emotions are starting to upset her and disturb her sleep. Should I fund a private appt for MRI or wait for NHS?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 8 hours later

Its important to get the child examined by a pediatrician or an endocrinologist to assess the sexual maturity of the kid before labeling her as precocious.

Pictures of her face, genitals, breasts etc may help come to a close diagnosis. You may send me the scanned photocopy to my attention at YYYY@YYYY

It's good that you could pick up some signs. However before considering MRI scans she may need some hormonal evaluations and some x rays after assessment by an endocrinologists.

There is no emergency and you may wait for appointments, but preferably get appointment in next 3 months. Get her blood pressure recorded and growth parameters charted too.

Hope this is helpful.

Report back with photographs and growth parameters.