Precancerous light brown spots, actinic keratoses, cryotherapy, Imiquimod, RF ablation

Hi, I am a 44 yr old female, great health, but have several pre cancerous light brown spots on my fac that need to be removed. I was given three options by a dermatologist, and cryosurgery is the method I think I will try. They are just on the surface of the skin. I am worried about four things possibly happening. How likely is getting a fever,headache,loss of feeling (permanant nerve damage to the face or passing out be? I have read online some of things may happen,yikes! I opted out of the radiation treatment cause I read that the lotion they use can cause swelling of the throat, I don't need that. But I need to get this done! Thanks for any help!
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 8 hours later

By your description I think you are suffering from actinic keratoses. Is that what your dermatologist has told you?

Cryotherapy is a very good treatment option and is relatively safe. Fever, headache, nerve damage are extremely, extremely rare. I have not encountered these side effects in more than 500 patients. I have treated with cryotherapy, so you do not need to worry too much about these. But, certain other side effects particularly pigmentary changes are mild scarring may occur.

Another treatment option is Imiquimod and RF ablation. You my discuss these with your dermatologist.

HOpe it answers your query. Let me know if you have further queries relating to this.