Polio patient. Left leg from waist is affected due to polio. Lower back pain. Weakness in right leg. Take Macalvit. Is it harmful?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I am a polio patient with polio in my left leg from waist downwards. My right leg is also not as strong as any normal person. I have frequent acute lower back pain especially on the right side with pain traveling downwards sometimes. I feel weakness in right leg also. My spine specialist got MRI done. It didn't reveal anything major. Besides exercise he has advised me to take Macalvit 500 daily twice a day. I want to confirm if is not harmful in any way.
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Macalvit is safe ,you can take it

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

As per your history and investigation your back pain is due to altered body mechanics.
Due to your polio limb, your spine is not in balanced position .Till this time your body compensated this by tilting of hip joint. Now as your age is advancing body compensation is getting reduced.
Yes mecalvit tab does not have any adverse reaction you can take it without worry.
And also check your vit B12 and vit D3 level.

Medication like methylcobalamine and analgesic will reduce pain.
You can do yoga, exercises and focus on spine extension exercises.

Some exercises which can be done include- Spine extension exercises, Lying on your stomach flat lift leg 6 inches from ground, do it for other leg.
Now lift both hand and leg simultaneously, 6 inch off the ground and stay
Position for around 10 breathes. Core stabilizing spine exercises will help.

You may consult physiotherapist for guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case. If required you can use orthotic supportive brace like [Floor reaction orthotic] for improving walking.

Hope this helps. Wish you speedy recovery.