Pneumonia,dizziness,infection,dehydration,weigh gain,bloating

General Surgeon
I have had a bad dose of flu followed by pneumonia. I was prescribed antibiotics by my doctor but had serious dizziness so was admitted to the ER four days ago. Pneumonia and an infection were diagnosed and due to standing BP dropping whenever I stood up I was also diagnosed with severe dehydration. Overnight IV antibiotics and four bags of IV fluid were administered. I was much improved the next day although very bloated and sent home with new antibiotics. I found I had gained 5 kgs in weight in the 24 hours and was bloated over my whole body. Four days later I still have the 5 kilos and my lower body, legs and abdoman are bloated from what seems to be fluid retention. Is this normal and how long will it take to go. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process of getting rid of the bloating.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 19 minutes later

You have rightly been treated for infection & pneumonia, recovery & improvement of symptoms proves this beyond doubt. Post treatment swelling may occur in certain people and this is temporary and will disappear with in few days.

Regular long breathing exercise, brisk walking & salt restricted diet will help in speeding up your recovery from retention of fluid /swelling which you have noticed.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

Wish you Good Health and speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Pneumonia,dizziness,infection,dehydration,weigh gain,bloating 20 minutes later has been four days since treatment but as I still had pneumonia and was quite sick I was in bed for three of those.

I ask because I have recently managed to reduce my weight by 8 kilos and it took a lot of effort to do so and to gain 5 in one day and not be able to fit into my clothes is disappointing! How long can I expect it to take?Will drinking extra water help to move the fluids faster and will the weight gain reduce as well?

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

This sudden gain of weight post treatment should not last longer. As pneumonia takes slightly longer to respond completely. As you are still under treatment for pneumonia, so you must first concentrate on your treatment of pneumonia. Weight gain can be taken care of later. Instead of extra water, salt restricted diet, along with exercise and long breathing exercise will help much more. It may take few days to couple of weeks.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and speedy recovery”