Plugged ears, hearing less and cold. Was on antibiotics and nasal spray. Suggest treatment

Jun 2015

My right ear is plugged solid. I am hearing XXXXXXX and less... It seems to be getting worse. Over the years I have had it checked with my GP and a Ear Specialist. Last February I was terrably sick with a cold congestion, out for two weeks from work never done that before and ended up at the Medical clinic and was precribed antibiotics and nasal spray. After taking the antibiotics as prescribed, my hearing came back to clearer than I have can remember. So much so that I found everything too loud.
But now I am back to worst than I have ever been. Where do I go from here
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Persistence of ear infection, Serous Otitis media

Detailed Answer:

The symptoms as mentioned in your post suggest that you are having Otitis media (infection/inflammation of the middle ear), most probably Serous Otitis media (Otitis media with Effusion/Glue ear)
In this condition, the middle ear cavity gets filled with serous fluid, resulting in sensation of fullness & interference with transmission of sound resulting in conductive hearing loss.
Symptoms aggravate when there is super-added Upper Respiratory Tract infection in the form of cold & congestion (as mentioned in your post)

Persistence of infection even after anti biotic therapy can be due to:
1. Inadequate duration of treatment.
2. Inappropriate selection of antibiotics against the causative organism.
3. Improper treatment of underlying cause of the ear infection.

Under such circumstances, the following corrective measures should be taken:
1. Discuss regarding the proper dosage of medications & adequate duration of treatment with your treating physician/ ENT specialist.
2. Culture & sensitivity to be done for selection of appropriate antibiotic.
3. Additional investigations like X XXXXXXX skull (including para-nasal sinuses) & MRI of brain will be helpful in detecting any hidden focus of infection in the head & neck region.

So, kindly consult an ENT specialist for a proper clinical examination of ear & also to rule out any hidden focus of infection present in nose or throat, from where it can spread to the middle/ inner ear.

Wishing you a good health & a speedy recovery.