Planning for a baby. What precautionary measures and diet should be followed?

Hello Doctor,
Me and my wife are thinking to plan for a baby. But before we go for it we just want to make sure what all precautionary or necessary steps are there that we should take care of. What should be the health or diet chart for both of us? What should be the day schedule for us? I want to add here that my wife has a low BP problem and her BP normally stays around 85/60. How many months should we consider before we try for a baby. What necessary tests should we go for to check for normal health of a mother and a father to have a healthy baby.

Looking forward for your best suggestions!

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 minutes later
Firstly there is no need of extensive tests yet. You should try for natural conception for at least 6 months,with regular intercourse, and if there is no pregnancy in that much time,then consult an infertility specialist.
Next,there is no strict diet to be maintained. But make sure that you eat a balanced diet with lots of protein,fruits and vegetables in your diet.
Drink plenty of fluids esp water,as it will flush out all toxins from your body.Avoid alcohol and smoking at all costs. The BP problem isnt going to cause much problem at this stage.
In terms of medications, your wife can start taking folic acid 5mg daily to be continued after conception also.
Other than that just lead a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet(avoid fried oily food) and exercise.
Both parents ideally should have some tests like HIV,Hep B, HCV, and hemoglobin.