Planning baby through IVF. On levroxa. Plan ahead of conception? Will the drug cause medical problem?

hi. i am 33 yrs old & planning for baby through IVF. But i am on Levroxa 750mg/day tablets (antiepileptic drug). Is this dose quiet large enough that it might drug cause medical problem to my baby? Should i plan ahead for conception. I very scared for conceiving as i want a healthy baby.. Pls help & guide.
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 2 hours later
Thanks for writing your problem to us.
All women including epileptics can have healthy babies. This is true that chances of having a baby with defects is increased ( almost twice ) in epileptic mothers as compared to a healthy mother. Most of this increase is due to the antiepileptic drugs. But stopping drugs is more harmful than continuing them.
This does not mean that your baby will certainly be affected. Only the chances are increased & most babies born to epileptic mothers are normal.
My advice for you is:
Do not alter or stop your medication on your own. It can be hazardous for you & your baby.
Start taking Tab Folic acid 5 mg at least 12 weeks prior to your planned conception. This will minimize your chances of having an abnormal baby.
Consult a Neurologist as soon as possible & discuss with him / her about your plans of having a baby. He / she may consider a reduction in your dose, a change to a safer drug or may alter the timings of your current medicine to minimize your plasma levels of drug.
Once you are stabilized on your new drug dose, you may plan for IVF.
Your fertility specialist can guide you further about the methods available to rule out chances of abnormalities in the fetus.
Wish you good luck.
Best Regards.
Follow-up: Planning baby through IVF. On levroxa. Plan ahead of conception? Will the drug cause medical problem? 1 hour later
Thank you so much Ma'am for such a assuring & precise answer. You wont know how hopeful & positive i am feeling after reading your revert. :-)
I am consuming Folic acid tablet (Emfolic DHA), Eema D, Ecosprin currently since last 4 months as prescribed by my Gynaecologist, along with Neuro medicines - Levroxa 750mg (250mg morning & 500mg at night) {The dose of neuromedicines is the reduced one after consulting the Neurologist}.
Pls guide if these pre-preg medicines are fine. All my blood, urine & LFT reports are normal & gives a go-ahead to conceive.

Also can you please enlighten me, in which trimester the adverse effects of antiepileptic drugs is observed in baby, if any? Or is it the case that it can occur even in last trimester??
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 16 minutes later
Thanks for your response. It is reassuring for us too when our users are satisfied with our response.
This is good to know that you have been given go-ahead signal from your treating consultants & that you have already received the prenatal counseling & advise.
The effect of antiepileptic drugs is most marked in the first trimester as far as fetal structure is concerned, but in third trimester also, you will be needing vitamin K supplements to ensure a healthy outcome. Your baby will also be reviewed by a child specialist to make sure all is fine.
Just relax & hope for the best.
You may write back if you have any other question. I will be there to answer.
Or if this completes our discussion you may close this query by accepting & rating my answer. I will appreciate your review about my answer.
Best wishes.