Pin pricking sensation in shoulder area. Any advice ?

Hi I am currently experiencing only what I can describe as pin pricking sensation in my shoulder area. This is around the area where I currently have a mole but this has not changed in size or colour or looks different. It is very uncomfortable and would appreciate some advice.
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     38 year old female
•     Known case of overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
•     Complaints of: Pin pricking sensation over shoulder area, shortness of breath and palpitations.

You case is interesting and but difficult too but I will try to give my best effort to help you in this problem.

Considering all your complaints together I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy:
•     Stress, Anxiety or Depressive disorder: it need to be rule out by detailed interview by psychiatrist. All your complaints can occur in these conditions. Hyperthyroidism also increases chances of developing above problems. Daily jogging and aerobics help in some mild cases.
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available.
•     Side effect of substance use: Stop use if any
•     Thyroid related problem: continue carbimazole under physician supervision.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.