Pimples on scalp. Anything serious?

Dec 2013

I have few pimples on my scalp... They hurt while i comb my hairs n i m afraid if it is tumour or something serious.
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The condition is known as Folliculitis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic.

I can understand your concern for the scalp problem in yourself.

After going through the short query and thoroughly analyzing the pictures sent by you, it appears to be "Folliculitis".

To tell you simply it is inflammation of the hair root of the particular area. It is characterized by red inflamed painful and itchy areas. These appears as pimples but different from pimple/acne in form of more redness, pain and pus accumulation in some of the bumps and a central crust or scab some lesions. These appears all of a sudden and can form recurrent crops of appearance one after another.

This is totally a benign condition which is seen quite often. So do not worry about the same for any possibility of tumor or anything else. Many a times we see these sudden eruptions without any pinpoint cause which we correlate to environmental factors including hot humid weather or sudden change in weather too. Application of creamy or oily products or oily massage can also induce these eruptions.

For the treatment part you can apply any good antibiotic cream as over the counter medication such as mupirocin or gentamycin. You can take pain killer tablet by mouth for reducing the intensity of pain and redness.

Rest of the preventive measure include following:

1. Do not pinch, pop or squeeze any area.

2. Do not apply any creamy or oily stuff or any other cosmetics over face.

3. Try to avoid any home remedies suggested by your friends or family members or otherwise self implicated therapies also.

4. Try avoiding situations of direct continuous exposure to sunlight or heat and humidity for long hours.

5. Kindly do not use any oral antibiotic as self medication.

6. Take two times bath and wash your scalp gently.

Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to help.

With good health wishes,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD Dermatology