Phenomenon of hexagons appearing in the light after waking from sleep. Why does this happen?

On occasion, when I awaken in a dimly lighted room, I see a large number of hexagons along with the real image in my field of view. With lights on the hexagons disappear and this phenomenon seems to be related only to waking from sleep. Can you tell me what this is. An internet search indicates that others experience this but I am unable to find an explanation.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later

Welcome to WWW.WWWW.WW Thank you for posting the query.

Coloured halos/hexagons around a yellow light suggest a transient rise of intraocular pressure/tension, but that is unlikely in your case because such rise is more in the evening after the sunset. Still it will be advisable to have a complete ocular examination to rule out any traces of Glaucoma. That will include Intraocular pressure measurement and fundus examination for Disc appearance. In case of any suggestive findings then further investigations like perimetry will be required.

As a second possibility effects of corneal epithelial defects can be taken care of by instillation of lubricant eye drops.

Please get back to me if you have further doubts and queries.