Person suffering from esophageal varices & liver cirrhosis. Life expectancy if untreated?

Pulmonologist
Question
how long can a person live with esophagul varices and cirrohsis if left untreated
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

First of all I would like to comment that the question seems to be pessimistic as treatment should never be stopped & vomiting large amounts of blood with esophageal varices & liver cirrhosis, is an emergency and may need surgical intervention if not controlled conservatively on medications.

Secondly coming to your question of survival rates in such a patient, I would like to comment the following:
1. Vomiting large amounts of blood with esophageal varices with stomach swelling (probably ascitis) with cirrhosis is a medical emergency and needs to be treated urgently. If left untreated the patient may immediately land in hypotensive shock and which is life threatening

2. If such a patient is rescued and his vomiting of blood is controlled then the progress of the patient depends on these factors: albumin, ascites, total bilirubin, prothrombin time, and encephalopathy. It also depends on how much liver has developed cirrhosis.

3. In the most severe cases 1-year survival is about 50%.

4. If treated and managed properly then mild to moderate cases have a better prognosis of 5-years, with a survival rate of 70%- 80%.

5. My sincere advice at this stage would be initiate immediate treatment by visiting the concerned physician.

I hope , I have answered your question. I would be glad to answer any follow up query.
Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

I wish a speedy recovery to good health.
Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB