Persisting cold with mild fever. Treatment?

Pulmonologist
Question
I have had a head and chest cold for two weeks and am also running a sub normal temperature. I am concerned with the temerature. It has been running very low around 96 degrees for the past few days
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later

From your history I understand that you are currently having head and chest cold, seems to be a hyperthyroidism, osteoporosis & ulcerative colitis for which you are on medications.

I would like to comment the following:

1. Normal oral body temperature in Fahrenheit ranges from 96.4 to 98.5. You temperature is on the lower side.

2. Please confirm if you are suffering from "HYPERTHYROIDISM" since synthyroid (levothyroxine) is usually used for "HYPOTHYROIDISM".

3. Any episode of infection should be promptly treated in patients suffering from thyroid disorders since it can flare up. Hence I suggest the following:

- You need to visit your physician and get examined.
- You may be take a macrolide antibiotic like Tablet. azithromycin under prescription from your physician.
- You may also take an antihistaminic medicine like Tablet. Fexofendine and a pain reliever medicine, for symptomatic control of cold under prescription from your physician.
- Please get your thyroid status checked and your medications reviewed since thyroid medications need to be altered in infections and that could be the very cause of your current subnormal temperature.
- Wear warm clothes/ keep yourself well hydrated (drink plenty of oral fluids).

4. Also after this episode of cold has subsided, I suggest you to consult your physician regarding the annual flu vaccination and the 5 yearly pneumococcal vaccinations considering your age and co morbidity.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there are no follow up queries.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Take Care

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS, MD, DNB

Follow-up: Persisting cold with mild fever. Treatment? 37 hours later
I had hperthroidism 50 years ago and was treated with two doses of radioactive iodine. Therefore, you are right that I now have hypothroidism. My thyroid was checked and I also received the flu shot within the month so that should be alright. Have been taking mucinex, benedryl, aspirin and Vit. C (1000) for the past few days. The cough has become productive and the cold seems to be getting better.
Thank you for your input. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 43 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the follow up.

Its nice to know that you are improving.

Your treatment is currently optimal. However for your cough with expectoration a short course of antibiotics (3 to 5 days) under your physicians supervision would really help.

Wish you a very good health.

Take Care

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS, MD, DNB