Persistent numb, pink toes, affecting big toes. Thyroid test done. What could be the reason?

Question
I have had numb pinky toes for about 3 years, doctor seems baffled. Now the last two months my big toes have gone numb. Also, he has no idea whats going on. I have been tested for thyroid...but says its normal aswell as thyroid and b12 normal. What causes this, and what can I do to ease it?
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 21 minutes later

That is very strange finding, how I wish if you could have sent a photograph of the lesion, I will appreciate it if you can send one in follow up.

Simple things like local and common causes like nerve / muscle atrophy because of improper shoes should be thought off. Pointed shoe & High heel shoe / sandals should be checked.

Second would be nutritional causes like B1, B6 and B12 deficiency. What about anemia? Any swelling of the toes? Ask your doctor to evaluate these.

We Can't say anything for surity but common differentials to be worked upon are-
1. Diabetes with Neuropathy
2. Raynaud syndrome variant
3. Vascular compromise due to atherosclerosis
4. Lichen planus chronicus
5. Dermatitis.

Please get yourself examined by an experienced physician and turn up on the review with reports. You can take nerve regenerators like Mecobalamin and multivitamins too.

I hope that answers your query.

Follow-up: Persistent numb, pink toes, affecting big toes. Thyroid test done. What could be the reason? 1 hour later
Oh no, there arn't any lesions of any sort. Its just numbness....

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 18 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
If you have no lesions at all, then get a work up for diabetes or nutritional deficiency as a cause for this.
Further, vascular compromise also needs to be ruled out. Get Fasting blood sugar level and HbA1c levels for diabetes investigation and a Lower limb arterial doppler for vascular compromise assessment.
I hope that answers your query.