Persistent cold, taken antibiotics. Concerned

My son is 6 year old. he got persistant cold for more than a year now. initially it is white in colour and after few weeks it turns greenish. I make frequent visits to GP and they prescribe antibiotics when catarh is XXXXXXX Afetr antibiotics he gets better but only for few days and cold reappearts. He is on healthy diet drinks lots of water and aglass of fresh juice everyday/. i am concerned, pls advies.
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
The diet, hydration and your care for your child is helping the boy in recovery but the nagging issue of recurrence is bothering you just like so many households round the globe.
The first thing I would like to tell you is that the Persistent cold is not a disease at all.
It is a phenomenon, an maladjustment disorder with environment. observe carefully you would find a cause that is bringing the problem again and again.
Most common culprit in children is sudden change in temperature.
Take an example- child is sleeping in the night, does not keep himself covered and gets cold solution is give him a bit thick donned top to bottom cover night suit.
Similar situation arises when child moves out from warm room to outside and he is not well clad so sudden change in temperature, Child may not take enough water before going to bed- gets thirsty early morning, drinks large amount of water in one go, gets cold due to sudden change in temperature.
Child may love going out in air immediately after bath to enjoy cooling and catches cold.
These examples may look boring to you but they are culprits in more than half of the persons who suffer cold round the year.
Viruses are well known cause of cold but not in such cases, this type of problem is called vasomotor rhinitis.
One simple remedy is give a combination like Sinarest/Wikoryl syrup 3ml stat with the first symptom and ask the child to rest in bed for half an hour, the problem would not increase beyond.
Try these options your child will forget the cold so would you, I hope.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!