Period lasted two months, becoming anemic. What do I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My period last 2 months and going Im anemic but it feels like it doesnt stop what do i do ?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
From the history it seems that you are having Dysfunctional uterine bleeding. The irregular and heavy bleeding that you are having can be due to uterine fibroids, polyps or hormonal disturbances. For diagnosis, you need to have an ultrasound scan of your lower abdomen and some blood tests.
Laboratory assessment of hemoglobin, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), prolactin, T4, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), pregnancy (by βhCG - human chorionic gonadotropin), and androgen profile can be done.

The management of this condition would require treatment with progesterone to stabilize the endometrium and reduce bleeding along with hemostatic agents like ethamsylate or tranexaemic acid . Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of proper therapy.
Meanwhile start taking iron supplements to combat excessive blood loss from your body.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.