Pelvic ultrasound showed thickened endometrial echo complex. Is this serious?

Question
Hi, I have recently had a pelvic ultrasound and the results said that i have a thickened endometrial echo complex, maximum depth of 25mm and there is a 26mm hypoechoic focus within it. Is it urgent that I get this followed up as We have a holiday planned in 2 weeks and will be away for 4 weeks or should I cancel our holiday and follow this up urgently
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 24 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
Your endometrium is quite thick & it is containing hypoechoic lesion also.
It is better that you get endometrial biopsy done that is a day care procedure before going for your holiday.
Endometrial biopsy is a confirmatory test to rule out any uterine pathology & if every thing comes normal, you can be tension free to enjoy your holiday.
I hope your query has been answered. I will be available to solve your further queries.

Dr.Monika

Follow-up: Pelvic ultrasound showed thickened endometrial echo complex. Is this serious? 24 minutes later
Does it make any difference if i am still having regular periods with no spotting in between?
Also it would be ok to get just a biopsy done in Doctors office rather than a D & C?

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 17 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
I am happy to know that you are having regular periods with no spotting, but still for prophylactic purpose you should undergo biopsy.
D + C & biopsy are done simultaneously, first by doing D&C thickened endometrial tissue is removed from all uterine layers & after completion of procedure endometrial tissue( biopsy material) is sent for histopathological examination to rule out any pathology.
I hope your query has been answered.