Pelvic pain, frequent urination, ultrasound found fibroids and ovarian cyst, painful periods, clitoral pain

Hello, I am 43 years old and I've suffered from yeast infections, uti's and just recently pelvic pain in the lower right quadrant with a feeling of frequent urination. I took myself to the hospital thinking it was another UTi(my boyfriend and I have a VERY active sex life...sometimes up to 6 times a day...8-10 times per week)....I was told at the hospital that I did not have a uti. They performed a pelvic ultra sound and a vaginal ultra sound. They found numerous Fibroids and a 12mm cyst on my right ovary(for which i have been told is too small to cause problems)...a week later my boyfriend and I had relations again and this time I did get a UTi....thing is just as the UTi did my period. It was the most painful period of my life! I could barely walk! I had severe pelvic pain and some nausea...then severe lower back pain. I was given Cipro 500mg twice a day for 5 my period ended, so did the lower back pain and the severe pelvic pain...however, the pelvic pain is still there....a burning ache in the lower right quadrant of my pelvis below my pelvic bone. My period is still ending, pelvic pain is still present, UTi is gone, but now my clitoris is in pain. I think I have a yeast infection from the antibiotics and hope the clitoral pain is from that...however, I have NEVER had clitoral pain like this is almost none stop....also i have, not pain, but a dull ache in my urethra only AFTER I urinate. It doesn't start immediately...usually takes about 30 seconds and last for about a 5 minutes, sometimes longer. It is NOT painful to touch my vaginal areas or even my clitoris. But the pelvic pain and the clitoral "heat" burning sensation (that comes and goes, but mostly stays) is the most annoying. It wakes me up at night. It does not hurt to close my legs, but it does hurt to were something tight up against it.
Posted Mon, 28 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina specially affecting clitoris in your case. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub which occurred after intercourse which you had prior to these symptoms or the second possibility is of an infection which can be caused by bacteria or yeast.
I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1) Avoid rough intercourse and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.