Parkinson's disease. Change in bowel movement and having loose motion of dark colour with little blood and mucus production. Remedy?

I am writing this to consult for my father. Recently (from 11th August) he is having a change in bowel movement. First two days he was having loose motion of dark colour with little blood and mucus production. We then saw a doctor after two days who gave some medicines which hardened the stools but mucus production continued. The medicines were changed again in the last two days owing to continued mucus production. The medicines being taken now are Omez/Ofloxacin 200 ( taking since last 5 days),metronidazole 400 (last 2 days) and zeebee(can't make out name from prescription).

I am writing this as I need to know whether we should consider another opinion of maybe a gastroenterologist. My Father is 76, has Parkinson's (under medication for that as well) and has become weak in the last few days owing to eating little as well. Also need to know what he can eat during this period.

Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Requires evaluation by Gastroenterologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Mucus is produced normally in intestine. However any alteration in bowel habit that is diarrhea especially with blood, loss of apetite, and at this age requires evaluation in form of colonoscopy. So I will advise to seek the opinion of Gastroenterologist for colonoscopy.

He may take normal or soft diet , may avoid milk. Also take psyllium fibres at night with water which will help in reducing mucus and will make stool bulky.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.