Par smear showed presence of atypical glandular cells, advised for biopsy. Probability of cancer?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
Hi this query is to know my friends health condition. 30 year old females Pap smear result shows the presence of atypical glandular cells. what is the probalility of cancer in this condition?. Doctors asked for a biopsy next week. I have read several articles some says that probalility of cancer is high. I have talked to some of my MD friends they said by this information they cannot say it can be due to cancer. Hence before the biopsy I:m asking a specialist to know the different probabilities. Please guide me.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 16 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

Presence of atypical glandular cells means that there are some abnormalities which have to be investigated. As Pap smear is a screening test, this is not a confirmed case. Atypical glandular cells can also occur due to an even related to pregnancy such as abortion or intake of hormones. These need to be ruled out first in before proceeding for further tests.
The possibility of cancer in this case is very low.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for follow ups.
With good luck