Panic attack, claustrophobia, chest heaviness, breathlessness. Want second opinion

hi doctor, this is regarding my mom. we have been on a trip to kerala for two weeks and just came back 3 days ago. since the past two day my mom is having a panic attack , she is feeling claustrophobic and feeling a heavy weight on her chest and also she runs out of her room to balcony or terrace feeling breathlessness. fearing a heart problem i took her to a heart institute but all her reports were normal.
my mom was getting treated for some bacterial infection from PSRI and the doctor had recommended neopride -25mg 3 times a day. today i took her to a psychiatrist he saw the prescription and told us to stop neopride as it is inducting a panic attack. he has recommended us larpose, pexep and oliza.
i am very concerned about my mom and did not want to take a chance, so i wanted to take a second opinion by consulting you. please let me know if this is the correct diagnosis or should i consult a different doctor. she has take half a tablet of larpose 1 mg and also taken pexep, i find her a bit relaxed now but still dint want to take a chance.

Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. U. Gauthamadas 40 minutes later

I am not aware of any literature that claims that Levosulpiride (neopride) induces panic. However antibiotics meant for gastrointestinal infection (ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin, levofloxacin) may cause acute panic.

Nevertheless if this was indeed drug induced pain attack, I would choose to stop the medication instead of adding a new antianxiety pills. So I think stopping the culprit drugs is enough to stop the panic attacks. No other medication is required.

So if she is taking any such medication you can consult your gastro-enterologist and request that it be changed to something else equally effective.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need any other information

Dr. Gauthamadas
Follow-up: Panic attack, claustrophobia, chest heaviness, breathlessness. Want second opinion 47 hours later
thanks doctor for your reply. i have stopped the medicine of the gastro infection and continuing the medication for anxiety. i spoke to the psychatrist whom i am seeing currently and he recommends to continue the medication for anxiety for at least a week and see him later. My mom is feeling better currently after the medicine but she is always feeling sleeping and tired. should i stop the medication and stop seeing the doctor or should i continue it and see the doctor next week.
Answered by Dr. U. Gauthamadas 29 hours later

It appears that you have received a slightly different version of what I wanted to say.

Nice to hear that your mother is doing well now. The medication can provide some relaxation in the form of sleep.

Ideally it is not advisable to stop any medication without first consulting that doctor who is treating you. He needs to know your problems so that he can suggest alternative therapy. I suggest you consult the gastroenterologist for any alternative treatment.

I would also suggest you go for review with the psychiatrist after a week whom you have consulted, before stopping the medication.

Dr. Gauthamadas