Palpitations, dizziness, elevated heart rate and blood pressure. Taking Metrogyl, Hygrotin and Nexium. Have tooth infection. Medication side effects?

Question
I have been prescribed 3 x Metrogyl 400 for a tooth infection. I also take 1 x Hygrotin 25 and 1 x Nexium 20 daily.
Today I have developed heart palpatations with my blood pressure monitor showing 137 over 88 and a heart rate of 138. It was higher two hours ago. I feel somwhat dizzy on moving around.
Is this anything to do with the medication?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
In the given scenario, the palpitations that you are currently experiencing could arise due to the following conditions:
a.     As a manifestation of heart disease- This is the most important possibility which needs to be ruled out by performing a complete evaluation and an electrocardiogram. Hypertension ( as in your case) can lead to heart disease which can manifest as palpitations.
b.     Adverse event associated with a drug- While I would like to reassure you that metrogyl (which contains metronidazole) and nexium ( which containes esomeprazole) will not cause palpitations, Hygroton (which contains chlorthalidone) can cause electrolyte disturbances which can potentially lead to palpitations. However, it depends on how long you have been taking the drug and the dose you have been taking the drug in. Hence I would request you to let me know how long have you been taking this drug and the dose in which you have been taking it so that I can help you better.
c.     Anxiety- This is a frequent cause of palpitations.
I would suggest the following:
a.     Consult your treating physician so that a detailed evaluation can be done and some investigations like an electrocardiogram and an electrolyte panel can be done
b. XXXXXXX breathing exercises, yoga and meditation will help relieve the anxiety.

I would like to add at this point that your blood pressure currently is within acceptable limits and is not a cause for concern.
However, if the palpitations are extremely uncomfortable and are associated with chest pain or breathlessness, I would strongly advise you to visit the ER immediately without further delay for an electrocardiogram to rule out any serious disturbance like an arrhythmia.
Awaiting your reply