Palate is very sore and the pain is going into jaw and ear. Had bloody and itchy nose. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
Question
My palate is very sore on the right side and the pain is going into my jaw and ear. Yesterday I had a bloody nose (left side) and my nose was very itchy.
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. A sore palate may be due to the nasal problem. The floor of the nasal cavity and the maxillary sinus is just above the palate (which forms the floor of these structures).

2. The pain radiating to the jaw and ear XXXXXXX be a referred pain due to common nerve supply. Some of the lymph nodes draining this part of the nose and sinuses are just below the jaw.

3. Bleeding from the nose and itching would imply a infection or inflammation. If the bleeding has happened without any cause, it must be immediately evaluated by an ENT Specialist.

4. The doctor can then ascertain if the bleeding followed a cold, infection, a furuncle (boil), nasal trauma, dryness, af foreign body or lump, a bleeding tendency and so on. Medication will be prescribed according to the suspected cause.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Palate is very sore and the pain is going into jaw and ear. Had bloody and itchy nose. Suggest? 54 minutes later
I just looked at it with a light. The soft palate on both sides are covered in little bumps. Will this go away on its own?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The hard palate normally has bumps which are known as the torus palatinus.

2. Even if these are infective bumps, the palate itself contains hardly any important structures. Hence there is no cause for worry. It should settle down.

3. More important is the nasal pathology which needs to be investigated.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any additional questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.