Painless swelling appeared on upper thigh. Should I be worried?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi doctor.Thanks for helping us
My wife has a hard swelling 2-3 cms on upper outside left thigh.The swelling is not moving and quite painless.Its under the skin.Please suggest what should we do and if its something to worry about
Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 46 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

This can be soft tissues benign lesion like sebaceus cyst, lipoma or varicose vein which has gotten clot. If this is more in the groin area, enlarged lymph node is possible. All mentioned conditions does not require immediate attention. You should get scheduled for soft tissues ultrasound of this area and depending of what it is, surgical removal might be necessary. Lymph node should be taken for histopatology.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Painless swelling appeared on upper thigh. Should I be worried? 14 hours later
Hi doctor,
As a further information, the hard swelling is not round or oval, its rather little elongated (lateral in position)on upper thigh(outside, around 15 cms down of hip,its painless and can be detected or felt only when pressed (the location of swelling is little XXXXXXX and not superficial),though she has past history of having bluish bruishes sometimes in legs or hands which subsequently dissappears.I am writting this for any further diagnosis from your end
Thanks and Regards

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
Hello!

From your second description it sounds more like a varicose vein which has probable gotten thrombosed. The other possibility is that you do palpated a muscle fiber. It would be easier to give exact answer if you could attach a photo of it.
The best way to make sure what exactly you are dealing with is to make an ultrasound with it. But it does not seem to be something serious.

Regards.