Painful toe. Has chronic kidney disease stage 3. Can gout be the cause of pain?

My husband has pain in his big toe but has an uric acid level of 5.7. He has chronic kidney disease stage 3. Can gout be the cause of his pain even though his uric acid level is normal?
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 22 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Yes, an acute attack of gout can occur when the uric acid levels are normal. A lot of times the attack is triggered by a sudden drop in uric acid which is why 30% of the men will have a normal uric acid level at the time of the attack.
At this point, he can take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet (upto 4 tablets daily) for the pain. This should be discontinued as soon as the pain stops since this drug can damage the kidneys in high doses.
Also, he should be careful about avoiding the following foods:
All meats, especially organ meats; Meat extracts and gravies; Seafood, especially sardines and anchovies; Yeast and yeast extracts; Beans, peas, and lentils; Spinach and asparagus; Cauliflower; Mushrooms.
Hope this helps
Let me know if I can address any more concerns