Painful swelling on the hip after a fall. Advice on immediate care?

i just fell down the stairs. painful huge knot developed fast in my left lower hip, front buttock area (where hip meets the thigh). The knot has grown large in the last 30 minutes. I'm wondering if I just hit it hard and it's just a painful bruise or if i need to go to the ER. I am a 42 yr old female in relatively good health.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 10 minutes later

The preferred option will be to visit ER.

As the size is increasing you need to have proper medical examination at the earliest.

It could be either some injury to underlying muscles and collection of blood (known as haematoma) or some bony injury.

In either case examination by doctor is advisable. Please do ice application to the area and take analgesic like Tylenol for immediate relief by the time you seem medical help.

Please be careful while getting up and walking,you may seek help from paramedics if you can not walk properly.

Your doctor after examination may advise X XXXXXXX as per the need.Please does not ignore and visit ER.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have follow up query, please accept the answer.