Painful, swelling above clitoris. What home remedies can I use?

Hi: I am 49 years old and have a large painful swelling just above my clitoris. (Folliculitis?) What home remedies or over the counter medication can I use apart from warm salt water as a compress? No previous vaginal infections. Thanks
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 19 minutes later

Mild, superficial abscesses and folliculitis' often improve with warm compresses (the warmer the better, without burning).

If however, it does not improve over the course of 1-2 days, or if there is a surrounding area of red, warm, firm skin, or if you have a fever or chills, then you should seek medical care from a qualified clinician right away. These symptoms, when present, could indicate a more serious infection.

I am afraid that other than warm compresses, there are no other effective home remedies.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any follow up regarding this query. Once you are satisfied with all my answer, please accept it.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz