Painful strong urge to burp, but unable to do so.

Question
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

If this is a new problem that has just started, and you feel like there is gas trapped, you can try some sparkling water or other carbonated drink. (Sparkling water would be the best because it is not acidic.)

However if this has been going on for awhile, there may be underlying problems causing this symptom, such as gastritis/duodenitis or other gastrointestinal problem.

Can you tell me more about this? When it started, the location of the pain, what other symptoms you have, and any ongoing medical problems or medications (including over the counters such as NSAIDs)?

Then I can respond with more detail about what might possibly be going on.