Painful stinging sensation in arm with bruise. Could a blood clot cause this?

Question
I had a stinging pain sensation in my arm then turned into a welt then bruise. No hole to be a spider bite. It woke me up from my sleep! If I rest my arm and something touches it, it hurts a bit. It scares me. Could a blood clot cause this?
Posted Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It looks more like a small blood vessel may have burst than a clot.
Contusions, which are basically another name for bruises, occur when there is damage/injury to blood vessel without there being any break in the skin.
It can occur with even minor trauma that may or may not be recalled.

You can consider using a medication that is in the NSAID family, if you do not have any known allergies or problems with these. This family of medication would include ibuprofen, cataflam , aspirin or voltaren.
These have an anti inflammatory effect and would result in faster resolution.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Painful stinging sensation in arm with bruise. Could a blood clot cause this? 11 minutes later
Thank you. It was starting to scare me as now if I touch it it doesn't hurt but my arm pains up and down. Mainly around the brachial area and forearm. I took a flashlight to it and I didn't see any holes unless its tiny.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
If you have any of those medications available to you at home then you can take it, provided you have no problems with any of them.
If you are concerned about an insect bite , you can consider taking at least one dose of an antihistamine along with the anti inflammatory medication, they will work synergistically.

Feel free to ask any other questions