Painful lump at the back. History of shoulder pain and herniated discs. Is it a lymph node?

Neurologist
Question
I recently noticed a small firm slightly painful lump right below my ribcage in the left side of my back. I have a history of herniated discs in my cervical neck and been having issues with arm/shoulder pain and tingling in my fingers and toes on the left side. I am worried about this small lump. I have never had anything like that before. Is this a lymph node or something else.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later

Regarding the presence of painful lump at the back, possibilities could vary from benign lesions like lipoma, inflammatory swellings and fibromyalgia. Possibility of a malignant lesion looks unlikely but needs consideration. However, I personally feel it is not related to your herniated cervical discs.

I am sure that this is a very difficult time for you. I would suggest that you consult your general physician who can examine you and decide on the nature of the lump. An X XXXXXXX or an ultrasound scan of the lump would sometime determine the nature of the illness. If not, fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) of the lump would be required for histopathological diagnosis.

I thank you again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. I you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Painful lump at the back. History of shoulder pain and herniated discs. Is it a lymph node? 7 hours later
Could this lump indicate something wrong with my pancreas? I also have mild discomfort in the mid front area and around the lower left side rib area that goes around to my back. The pain is mild and comes and goes. I also have problems with my gallbladder. A hidascan indicated thst my gallbladder does not empty completely and is only functioning at 20%. I dont have any loss of appetite or weight loss and the pain does not interfer with my daily activities. Sometimes after I eat I will get that gallbladder pain on both the right and left sides. I forgot to mention in my history that I also have a hiatal hernia. Could any of these problems cause this type of discomfort or the small lump in my back? I have an appointment to see my GP tomorrow.

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 22 minutes later
Hello and Thanks for the query.

No pancreas does not cause this kind of lump, more of chronic back and epigastric pain with features of indigestion and fatty stools.

In most cases however, a hiatal hernia does not cause any symptoms. The pain and discomfort that a patient experiences is due to the reflux of gastric acid, air or bile. Both pancreatitis and hiatal hernia do not cause lump in the back. Ultrasound scan as suggested earlier could solve the issue.

I thank you again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. I you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist