Ask a Dentist   »  

Painful lump appeared under chin after pulling out teeth. Are they related?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 10 y/o daughter has an olive to walnut size lump under lt side of chin. She says it started hurting about 2 days ago. She has had a loose tooth just lt of center on lower jaw for past 4-5 days and I have been giving ibuprofen off and on for same time period. She pulled her own tooth out last evening. Figure this is all related, but wondering if she ought to see dr for confirmation and possible abx?
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 48 minutes later
Yes your daughter could be suffering from a dental abscess or soft tissue inflammation surrounding the broken tooth.Sometimes the oral mucosa can get inflamed and irritated due to dental causes and develop a papule or ulcer which can be painful too.
Though mild inflammation can resolve on its own in a week , any infection if present would not and infact it will worsen with time.
The fact that there is visible swelling or lump along with pain and tenderness does make it necessary for getting her evaluated by her dentist or pediatrician . The doctor after confirming the diagnosis might start appropriate antibiotics and antiinflammatory analgesics ( acetaminophen or ibuprofen ).
Meanwhile she should avoid handling the area or pressing it frequently , maintain adequate oral hygiene & take an analgesic like acetaminophen if pain or discomfort is more.Warm saline gargles thrice daily should help in faster healing.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing her a speedy recovery.