Painful labium, swollen after sex. No bumps but itchy and irritated. What should I do?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hey! for a couple of days my right side of my labium has been kinda painful but nothing major last night after sex it swelled n it is still swollen its been awhile since i've had sex n i check down there every so often and i feel no bumps or anything its just swollen and itchy and irritated..what should i do??
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for posting your query..
Labia Majora swelling , itchiness could be due to mucosal irritation with trauma or allergy or a fungal infection.
Since there are no lesions and discharge viral or bacterial infection are unlikely.
At present there is nothing worrisome and most likely it could be due to allergy (to clothing, latex, deodorant, bath salt etc )or minor trauma (rubbing scratching.
In either cases it should subside in a couple of days .
For soothing relief steroidal creams like 1% hydrocortisone can be applied locally twice daily as per your doctors advise.You should maintain adequate genital hygiene and avoid any irritant chemical products or other allergens.
If the swelling still persists or you develop new symptoms like vaginal discharge , severe pain, tenderness, fever etc then you must consult your physician or gynaecologist to rule out other
infective causes.