Painful knee, hurts to walk on, painful to straighten, tender. History of knee injury and hematoma

I fell hard on right knee, hematoma, got better, tripped on broken concrete, got better, gave out on me going up step, got better, sometime sore, then nothing that I know of kept getting sore, now great pain, painful to straighten, hurts to walk on, hurts around my knee and back of leg into my ham string. Very, very tender, to pint of tears, but not hot to touch.
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

If the hit was around the knee joint resulting in Haematoma, then fracture of a bone or a ligament tear is likely.The haematoma is usually due to the blood oozed from the broken bone or the torn ligament.

Based on the description I consider it to be a ligament injury more than a bone fracture.Ligament injuries usually cause haematoma which resolves soon but after few days when the joint is mobilized the pain starts appearing.

I suggest you to get an Xray (if not done) to ascertain the health of bones and apply Crepe bandage around the joint to immobilize it for a minimum of 2 weeks.This would be enough for a minor ligament tear to heal.

If there is pain even after 2 weeks then you should have to consult a Orthopaedician for examination and specific management.

Also do apply DICLOFENAC gel over the affected area , this will reduce the pain.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.