Painful inflammation behind ear lobe, malaise and fever. Do I have masoiditis? Should I go to ER?

I have a painful inflamation behind my left ear lobe and also my left inner ear hurts. I I've a general feeling of malaise and slight fever.
I googled my symptoms and it seems that I have MASOIDITIS. Do you advise I go to the ER? Online it says it can be very dangereus.
I scheduled an appointment with an ENT for tomorrow but I'm scared that i could get complications by tomorrow. My left ear is the only one I can hear with since I lost hearing in my right ear as a child. I'm very scared :(
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX
Mastoiditis has the following triad of symptoms
-swelling over the mastoid area,plus prominent ear
-pain over the mastoid on touching
-discharge from the ear
In most cases, all three symptoms may not be seen.

Redness behind the ear can be due to many conditions including mastoiditis. Most of these conditions arise from infection of some part of ear. Since damage to any part of ear can lead to hearing loss, I will suggest that you may visit the ER and get yourself examined by a doctor.

Dr. Chakravarthy