Painful bumps spreading on the legs and feet. Difficulty in straightening the leg. Any suggestions?

My son has bumps on his knee--he has had them for a few years, maybe 4 or 5 little bumps. They are now spreading up and down his left leg and are even on his foot. He says they are starting to hurt and it is sometimes hard to straighten his leg. Trying to get in with a dermatologist, but wondering what I can do in the mean time?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi dear,

I have seen the photo sent by you and gone through the history.

The swellings that you have described can occur in a multitude of diseases.

As I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
• Did you have a similar problem in the past?
• Does the lesion itch? If yes, how severe is it?
• Do you have any similar lesions on any other part of the body like elbows, arm pit, face, neck, groin, and trunk?
• Do you have any other known allergies/food/drug sensitivity?
• Do you have fever /sore throat /joint pain /any other symptoms?
• Does it have scaling?
Any seasonal improvement or worsening?

More photographs of skin lesions (close up, distant and lateral) in good light can be helpful.

Awaiting your response.
Dr Sudarshan