Pain while urination. Undergoing external beam radiation for early stage prostrate cancer. How can I get through this?

I have early stage prostate cancer and am under going external beam radiation for the last two weeks.
I am starting to have pain when I start to urinate at base of bladder with some urgency. Have some discomfort while urinating. At times stream is slower . I drink a oft of water and it seems to improve.
What can been done about these discomforts. So I can get thu this radiation treatment/
Posted Tue, 19 Jun 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 50 minutes later

I understand your query and concern.
The problems you have are due to a combination of cancer and radiation effect.
As u re doing, kindly take plenty of fluids, Empty the bladder periodically, take healthy diet.
If the urine stream is very low, then u need to consult, otherwise u can wait till the course of radiation is over.
You can take what is called urinary analgesics to have some relief, which can be taken after your doctors approval.

Hope i answered your query.
Kindly get back for doubts, if any.
Dr G Srinivasan.

Follow-up: Pain while urination. Undergoing external beam radiation for early stage prostrate cancer. How can I get through this? 1 hour later
Thank you for your advice. As long as I drink plenty of water the urine stream is OK.
It may slow a little at times . It seems to be better in the day time . I need to get up about every 2 hours at night,that is when the urine stream is slower. I will drink more water and it will gain force. How much water is safe to drink? I have been applying warm compress to bladder area and it seems to help some. I also took some Ibuprofen. I will ask my DR about urinary analgesics.luckly this seems to come and go.
I just want to make thu the radiation without to much trouble.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 8 minutes later

Three to four liters a day is good for health, unless the doctor has advised water restriction, which is done if kidneys are not working well.
The symptoms will take time to resolve till the radiation takes effect.
Warm compresses, ibuprofen if necessary can be taken.

Get well soon.