Pain under breast after eating and exercising. What could this be?

I have this pain in my left side right up under my left breast. It feels like its around my ribs. This came on sudden tonight, as well as last night. Most times it was after eating and after some excercising. What could this be?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Having pain in the left side of your chest under the left breast is less likely to be due to cardiac causes.
Heart attack is unlikely to develop at a young age like yours.
Still it would be better to get the following investigations done to rule out cardiac related problems as your pain is sudden in onset without any other associated symptoms.
1. Troponin -T and CPK-MB
2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
3. Echocardiography
4. Tread mill test
5. Thallium scan (Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy)

The other possibilities that need to be ruled out with the help of your physician are muscular pain, GERD, Pleuritis, etc.

The pain also could be due to musculoskeletal inflammation - This can be diagnosed if the pain increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week. ‎

Pneumonitis Or Pleuritis : Here the pain increases on XXXXXXX breaths and is associated with symptoms like cough, expectoration of mucus or purulent sputum, etc.

GERD: This condition too presents with the similar symptoms as described by you and usually subsides after taking Antacids or proton pump inhibitors group of drugs.

Panic attacks: This is a condition that is seen in hyperthyroid patients with anxiety related symptoms. This can also present with chest pain, breathlessness and other generalized symptoms. This condition can also be confused with cardiac problems.

It is important to rule out the exact cause after physical examination and investigations. Hence, please see your Primary Doctor for complete examination and the treatment would follow according.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.