Pain on walking and standing. MRI showing cyst in pelvic area. What kind of treatments are available?

Nephrologist
Question
mY HUSBAND HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED THRU A mri WITH A 1.9 X 3.3 X 6.9 CYST XXXXXXX IN HIS PELVIC AREA ON THE RIGHT. iT CAUSES SEVERE [AIN ON STANDING AND WALKING. wHAT FORM OF TREATMENT OPTIONS ARE THERE?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 minutes later
Hello.

I would like to know more about his condition to suggest you better.

1. Could you please type out the MRI report or attach the films and reports. I need to know where exactly on the right side this lesion is and if it is pressing on a nerve.
2. Also for long has he been suffering from this problem? Have the symptoms increased?
3. Did he have fever? Is he a diabetic? If yes for how long?
4. Have you approached a doctor for the same? What was his opinion?

Please get back to me with the answers. It will help me frame my answer to suite the present condition.

I am awaiting your reply.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pain on walking and standing. MRI showing cyst in pelvic area. What kind of treatments are available? 10 hours later
I belong to an HMO and I cannot get a copy of the MRI. We are being told it is XXXXXXX near his pelvis. He took a previous MRI which concurred with an XR that his hip on the same side is bone to bone and he needs a hip replacement.
He's been having this problem for close to a year with the last 3 months being worse. He also has the usual back disc problems due to age. He has no nedical problems other than mild BP. He sometimes has trouble urinating. They also found cysts in his kidneys which they are not concerned with. We are waiting to hear from a Dr. who deals with this. The Dr. we've been speaking to is a physical med Dr and is not versed on this problem.
He plays the cello and has been torquing his body for over 50 yrs. Hope that helps.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later

Thanks for replying.

It would have been ideal if I had got the report of the MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging).

Without the MRI, I would like to point that since the cyst is in the pelvic area and the pelvic area is full of nerve connections it is possible that the cyst is encroaching or pressing on a nerve which is causing the severe pain. The one other reason for the severe pain is because of the hip joint issue for which the doctor has advised a hip replacement therapy.

For the current problem of the cyst I would advise you to approach a surgical gastroenterologist for further management. It would be best to approach a hospital with surgical gastroenterology and orthopedics. Since the symptoms are getting worse they might choose to excise it.

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer.

I wish your husband and you good health.