Pain on left side below the ribcage. Pain goes away when lying on right side. Burping after meal and have bad breath. What could it be?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have pain on my left side, just below the rib cage. It is really bad at bedtime. If I lay on my left side, the pain stays there, but if I turn over on my right side, the pain starts to go away, & I fall asleep. My question is do I have gallbladder problems or stomach problems? I burp a lot after each meal, & have bed breath, along with low energy. Can you tell me what Is the problem?
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
This is stomach problem very probably and you should do some tests to confirm this. You describe symptoms of hiatal hernia, GERD or gastritis. To evaluate this you should do gastroscopy and then further treatment can be planned. Till you do that you should change your dietary habits and start with antiacid medicines(ask your doctor for nexium or ranitidine).
You should eat smaller meals but more frequently. Avoid alcohol,coffee,smoking, fried and fatty food and food that causes bloating. Sleep with elevated upper body,dont sit or lay after meal at least 2 hours. Regulate your body weight.
Usually there is improvement on these measures .If not,you should definitely do gastroscopy to rule out hiatal hernia and colonoscopy to rule out IBD and other bowel disorders.
WIsh you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards