Pain, light bleeding, clots, taken Percocet, done transvaginal US, taken depo shot, had HPV

I am 28 years old, 5ft 7 in and I weigh 246 lbs. Before I had my children I had heavy bleeding and severe pain during my periods. I was also diagnosed with HPV at age 17. I have been on the depo shot for about 9 months without any bleeding or spotting previsiously (I was on the depo shot about 9 years ago). However, I started bleeding with really bad pelvic/abdominal, back and leg cramps. I had a transvaginal ultrasound and on the report it read:
UTERUS: Size (cm): length: 8.0 AP: 3.7 Width: 4.7
Myometrial echo pattern: Myometrial echopattern demonstrates a 1.5 x 1.3 cm myometrial fibroid in the anterior fundus.
Contour: Normal.
ENDOMETRIAL ECHO COMPLEX: Width (mm): 4, which is within normal limits. However, the endometrial cavity contains some irregular echogenic debris and is slightly distended.

There was no anexal masses and the cul-de-sac had no free fluid present.
I was prescribed percocets by an emergency room doctor,but I am still experiencing severe pain and light bleeding with small clots.
What does all this mean?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Your ultrasound report suggests a small intramural fibroid which is less likely to cause such an irregular and prolonged bleeding. Rest of the pelvic structures are within normal limits.
From the history it seems that you are having Dysfunctional uterine bleeding. Though diet and exercise can help to change the body, sometimes, acute hormone changes induced by them can cause irregular periods (called Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding).

The etiology of such disorder can be psychological stress, weight (obesity, anorexia, or a rapid change), exercise, endocrinopathy, neoplasm, drugs, or it may be otherwise idiopathic.
Laboratory assessment of hemoglobin, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), prolactin, T4, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), pregnancy (by βhCG), and androgen profile can be done.

The management of this condition would require treatment with progesterone to stabilize the endometrium and reduce bleeding. Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of iron deficiency anemia.

You might consult your OB-GYN who can do the needed tests and initiate the proper therapy.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: Pain, light bleeding, clots, taken Percocet, done transvaginal US, taken depo shot, had HPV 44 minutes later
Everytime I have pain in my abdomen I have sharp pain on my right side that travels around my side to my lower back. This pain is always at it's worst when I am bleeding or spotting. Could Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding cause this or the fibroid?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Both DUB and fibroids can cause such a pain as these are uterine contractions which try to expel any clots from its cavity during active bleeding.
Wishing you an early recovery.