Pain in upper back, minor pain in body walls, muscular pain. Treatment ?

Question
Am 22 years old, about 179 cm wieght 62 ( no gain lose)
I have some strange feelings that come in the upper part of my back (my shoulder and around) and somtimes on the sides of my ribs. It comes in different places.
i went and did xray twice but they all said it nothing, And one doctor said its just minor pains in your body wall.and he gave me ibuprofen and he said i don't need it but it can help to reduce these pains. i fear its a bad problem in my lungs, it comes sometimes, mostly when sitting, it have a little burring feeling.I dont cough or have pains when taking XXXXXXX breath. Am not sure if this pain is coming from my lungs or from my msucles.Its more of a discomfort than pain. it doesn't hurt me but makes me feel worried.
Am a smoker and i hope its not related to any lung diseases .

Thanks
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. From the symptoms that you have described it sounds like muscular pain rather than lung causes which often present with respiratory symptoms like cough, shortness of breath, pain while taking XXXXXXX breaths etc. Moreover twice the x-rays of lung have come out normal. X-rays is the first test to be done for any pulmonary or respiratory cause. To completely rule out any lung cause, it is better to get a CT chest done after examination from a physician.

Apart from muscular pains, fibromyalgia, Ankylosing spondylitis and irritation of the nerves supplying the area by buldging disc of cervical or thoracic vertebrae also can present with such pains. MRI spine will help in ruling out any nerve or spinal causes.

Till the time you get these tests done, treatment involves conservative local care with careful use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen as prescribed. Application of warm compresses may also help. If there is no relief even with medications, then steroid injections may be needed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Pain in upper back, minor pain in body walls, muscular pain. Treatment ? 1 hour later
ist normal for these muscular pains to last long or comes from time to time. ??
Thanks for your advice

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Muscular pain can be recurrent and can even last long. So application of warm compresses and anti inflammatory drugs help. Also it is essential that you correct any posture imbalances that you may have, whether in a sitting posture or in a standing posture.

It is also very important to make sure that the pillow you use under your head is the correct size and thickness for your body. Avoid stretching of shoulders and consult a physiotherapist for back and shoulder exercises.