Pain in the toe, loss of appetite, gum blisters and diarrhea after travelling

Since I moved to the US from Belgium 8 days ago, I started to experience bad health:

- pain in my left toe bone
- loss appetite for food
- blister in the gum
- mild diarhea
- eating certain food (have not spotted what yet) causes the pain in the toe bone increase

Now I am fasting on juice for a while

Please advise
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 6 hours later

Your symptoms are pain in left toe, loss of appetite, blister in gum and mild diaarrhoea in the background of chronic problems such as pain in left shoulder / left hip and cracking sounds in left arm on rotation.

Based on your description, I think you have rightly deduced that you may have reacted to something you ate and that has led to stomach irritation.

It might help to take over the counter acidity pills (such as prilosec OTC) for a week. In addition, soya milk and yoghurt mixed half and half twice a day will help to settle the stomach. If they don't help much, it would be wise to consult a physician for a detailed examination for prescription medications.

Avoid taking a pain killer for the toe pain. You can foment with ice if there is redness otherwise use local heat. Vitamin B-complex and vitamin D supplements / cod liver capsules will also help your chronic problems.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any further queries, I will be available to address them. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.

Best wishes