Pain in the groin while running on treadmill. Reason and cure?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I went running on treadmill yesterday like I do 2-3 times a week. Jogging speed. Suddenly I felt pain in the groin. Not too bad, but decided to stop. Didn't make any unusual movements when it happened. I notice it when I walk, have not tried running again. What should I do?
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inguinal muscle pulling

Detailed Answer:
It sounds like typical inguinal strain,probably there is pulled some of the adductor muscles. It is commonly seen and there is no even need for unusual movements.
It usually heals on its own. You just need to give it some time and rest at least 7-10 days. To speed the healing, you can use ice when you feel pain for 20 minutes, compress your thigh using an elastic bandage,take anti-inflammatory painkillers. Practice stretching a exercises but only if it doesnt cause pain.

Most of the time, these conservative treatments will be enough unless there is muscle rupture or damage of ligamnets and nerves(this is rarely seen but if there is hematoma, inability to move legs normaly or loss of sensation, you should see doctor). Otherwise, just be patient and if it doesnt subside in 2 weeks or pain progresses, you should do ultrasound or MRI scan for further evaluation and ruling out some other pathologies such as inguinal hernia, venous thrombosis and other.
Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards