Pain in the ear during menstruation. Reasons?

Can you explain why I get pain in my outer ear around the time of my menstrual cycle. The problem started a year ago and it happens ever month. My GP had no idea re the cause. We tried strong NSAIDS and a course of antibiotics to no effect. The pain usually lasts around a week. The ear may vary but it is more often the left ear. There is no redness, it is just acutely tender and I can not lie on it at night.
I am 49 and have no comorbidities, and otherwise fit and well.
Thank you.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 21 minutes later
Hello ,

Every woman's period is different. I think it just may be a symptom of your period as some women often get cold around the time of their menstrual cycles.

Or it might be migraine, which you are appreciating more near your ear.For some women, migraine attacks occur during periods, or just before periods. The cause or trigger is thought to be due to the fall of the level of oestrogen.

The strict definition of menstrual migraine is for the migraine attack to start at any time from two days before, to three days after the first day of a period.

To make the diagnosis, you have to keep a migraine diary for three months or so.

Treatment options include - painkillers, anti-inflammatory painkillers, and medicines for migraine.

Hope i have answered your queries.I will be available for your queries.

Follow-up: Pain in the ear during menstruation. Reasons? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr Haik, that's an interesting thought. I have never had migraines before so it's odd, and the fact it only started a year ago. I am sure you are right about the like with oestrogen levels. I wondered if the change could ha e been triggered by my maybe being peri-menopausal. Do you suppose this could be a factor?

I find Paracetamol as effective as anything and just use this when the pain is very acute and overnight so I can sleep. I will certainly read up on menstrual migraine as my symptoms fit with your definition but the pain is only limited to the grissley bit of the outer ear. There is no visual disturbance or nausea or dizziness.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 13 hours later
Hello again XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

Migraine may not necessarily be associated with visual disturbances and nausea or dizziness.

With pregnancy and menopause it decreases, as you are in peri menopausal age, there will be flactuations in hormones that might also be responsible.

You can use the oils of lavender, sandalwood, eucalyptus or peppermint to massage the forehead to get quick relief from the symptoms of menstrual migraine. Drinking fresh grape juice is said to be one of the best ways to combat menstrual migraine headache.

I hope my suggestions will help you.

Wish you good health.