Pain in the breast. Feeling lumpy. Could this be cancer? Suffering from stress and depression. Family history of cancer

few days ago i have noticed a pain in my breast when i touch it. its in one specific place and its sharp pain if i touch it or lay on it. this breast also feels lumpier than my other but i dont know if this is normal as i dont check my breasts before my dad has recently got diagnosed with cancer, I have been scared and I have been constantly examining them and they are both very sore so now I dont know if that pain would have gone away. what does a harmful lump feel like? what am i looking for? im 21 and no serious health probs apart from extreme stress and depression due to my dad..
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 19 minutes later

I could understand the amount of stress and low mood that you are undergoing at this moment. This can really take a toss on your health. There is a good chance that the malady that you have is because of the stress and depression alone.

Sore breasts are not usual in a young female unless she is sexual active with an episode in the past week. If you had an intercourse in the recent past there is a chance of a condition called mastitis. In this condition there is tenderness over the complete breast with fever as well. A simple blood test with TC, DC and ESR rules out mastitis. I should practically rule the mastitis once these are normal.

I am sorry about the recent diagnosis of cancer for your father. As a young woman you should pull up your spirits and instill confidence in the family. There is a rare variant in breast cancer that appears in young women. However I do not want to rush through as you did not come out with a positive family history of breast cancer. I strongly reassure that there is no reason to think about cancer at this time. All these negative emotions can severly depress you and take away your health. I suggest you to convert them into positive thoughts and help your family during this time.

Let me know if you need more help here.